Tue, September 17, 2013
- Jarvis Cocker performing in Providence, Rhode Island, June 1996
- Screen shot of Kurt Cobain at the Paradiso in Amsterdam, November 1991, from Nirvana Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!
For the past twenty-odd years, artist Elizabeth Peyton has built an enviable oeuvre melding portraiture and pop culture. It’s a world in which Prince William, Jackie Kennedy and Marc Jacobs rub elbows with a Who’s Who of rock legends. Her new book Here She Comes Now zeroes in on the latter, with photographs of Kurt Cobain, David Bowie, Jarvis Cocker and Keith Richards — all captured in the midst of a live performance — next to Peyton’s painterly interpretations. The book truly captivates in tracking her fascination with these personalities, from electrifying inspiration to powerfully intimate final works.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Mother’s Day Entrepreneurs: Baby2Baby’s Kelly Sawyer Patricof & Norah Weinstein Sun, May 3, 2015
- Culture Mother’s Day: Photographer & DJ Brooke Williams on Raising a Future Jedi Master Sat, May 2, 2015
- Culture Mother’s Day: Editors’ Wish List, The Book Edition Sat, May 2, 2015
- Culture Mother’s Day: Tastemakers on Mom’s Best Advice Fri, May 1, 2015
- Culture Did You Know? The New Whitney Museum Thu, Apr 30, 2015