Tue, September 17, 2013
- Jarvis Cocker performing in Providence, Rhode Island, June 1996
- Screen shot of Kurt Cobain at the Paradiso in Amsterdam, November 1991, from Nirvana Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!
For the past twenty-odd years, artist Elizabeth Peyton has built an enviable oeuvre melding portraiture and pop culture. It’s a world in which Prince William, Jackie Kennedy and Marc Jacobs rub elbows with a Who’s Who of rock legends. Her new book Here She Comes Now zeroes in on the latter, with photographs of Kurt Cobain, David Bowie, Jarvis Cocker and Keith Richards — all captured in the midst of a live performance — next to Peyton’s painterly interpretations. The book truly captivates in tracking her fascination with these personalities, from electrifying inspiration to powerfully intimate final works.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Do: Peter Lindbergh at Gagosian Gallery Sun, Sep 14, 2014
- Culture Book of the Week: Claiborne Swanson Frank’s Young Hollywood Mon, Sep 1, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Nancy Meyers’ The Intern Sun, Aug 24, 2014
- Culture Mentorship: Every Mother Counts’ Clancy McCarty Wed, Aug 20, 2014
- Culture Mentorship: Gagosian Gallery’s Christine Erpf Wed, Aug 20, 2014