Vetiver is Tory’s first scent memory: Her father Buddy (above) and brothers all wore it, and eventually she did, too. Known as the “oil of tranquility” in the East for its calming properties, it’s been distilled for its fragrance since ancient times, and much like wine, its earthy, woody scent improves with age. Vetiver is traditionally known as a fragrance for men — JFK, Alain Delon, Paul McCartney, Harrison Ford and Hugh Jackman are all said to have been swayed by the sensual, smoky scent. Of course, the note’s versatile enough for a woman to wear as well and carries with it a little unexpected edge.
More to explore in Beauty
- Beauty Spring 2015: Backstage Beauty & Hair Fri, Sep 12, 2014
- Beauty Mentorship: DooBop’s Benjamin Bernet & Jodie Patterson Thu, Aug 21, 2014
- Beauty Beauty Spotlight: Yahoo’s Britt Aboutaleb Wed, Aug 13, 2014
- Beauty Beauty Tip: Cover Art Fri, Jul 25, 2014
- Beauty Rachel Antonoff On: Scents & Silliness Fri, Jul 11, 2014