Vetiver is Tory’s first scent memory: Her father Buddy (above) and brothers all wore it, and eventually she did, too. Known as the “oil of tranquility” in the East for its calming properties, it’s been distilled for its fragrance since ancient times, and much like wine, its earthy, woody scent improves with age. Vetiver is traditionally known as a fragrance for men — JFK, Alain Delon, Paul McCartney, Harrison Ford and Hugh Jackman are all said to have been swayed by the sensual, smoky scent. Of course, the note’s versatile enough for a woman to wear as well and carries with it a little unexpected edge.
More to explore in Beauty
- Beauty Beauty Tip: Cover Art Fri, Jul 25, 2014
- Beauty Rachel Antonoff On: Scents & Silliness Fri, Jul 11, 2014
- Beauty Beauty Spotlight: Linda Wells Sat, May 31, 2014
- Beauty Model Talk: Alexandra Martynova on Beauty Fri, May 2, 2014
- Beauty Book of the Week: Andrea Robinson’s Toss the Gloss Tue, Apr 15, 2014