Vetiver is Tory’s first scent memory: Her father Buddy (above) and brothers all wore it, and eventually she did, too. Known as the “oil of tranquility” in the East for its calming properties, it’s been distilled for its fragrance since ancient times, and much like wine, its earthy, woody scent improves with age. Vetiver is traditionally known as a fragrance for men — JFK, Alain Delon, Paul McCartney, Harrison Ford and Hugh Jackman are all said to have been swayed by the sensual, smoky scent. Of course, the note’s versatile enough for a woman to wear as well and carries with it a little unexpected edge.
More to explore in Beauty
- Beauty Most Wanted: Paintbox Manicures & Printed Bags Wed, May 20, 2015
- Beauty Mother’s Day: Elisa Sednaoui Dellal on Motherhood Lessons & Fitness Tips Fri, May 8, 2015
- Beauty Mother’s Day: Ivanka Trump on Children’s Books & Family Heirlooms Wed, May 6, 2015
- Beauty Mother’s Day: Tory Burch Beauty E-Card Bouquets Sun, May 3, 2015
- Beauty Blogger Shiva Rose On: Health, Wellness & Leaving Hollywood Fri, Feb 27, 2015