Montauk is more than just a beachy locale where surfers, sunseekers and seafood-lovers alike converge. It’s where The Rolling Stones found inspiration for their 1976 song Memory Motel, effectively immortalizing a local institution. They wrote it while staying at Andy Warhol’s five-house compound there, which also hosted the likes of Lee Radziwill, Halston, Jackie Kennedy and Liza Minnelli. Top photographers Richard Avedon and Peter Beard made their homes in the area, too. And let’s not forget the iconic movies: A great white shark caught off the Montauk shore — weighing over two tons — fed the idea for Jaws.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Expert Guide: Recruiter Kristy Hurt on the Job Search Mon, Mar 30, 2015
- Culture To Read: Veronica Kavass’ Artists in Love Sun, Mar 29, 2015
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Aries Fri, Mar 27, 2015
- Culture Spotlight On: Spring Beach Reads Sun, Mar 22, 2015
- Culture To Read: Thomas Campbell’s Seeing Fatima’s Eyes Thu, Mar 19, 2015