Montauk is more than just a beachy locale where surfers, sunseekers and seafood-lovers alike converge. It’s where The Rolling Stones found inspiration for their 1976 song Memory Motel, effectively immortalizing a local institution. They wrote it while staying at Andy Warhol’s five-house compound there, which also hosted the likes of Lee Radziwill, Halston, Jackie Kennedy and Liza Minnelli. Top photographers Richard Avedon and Peter Beard made their homes in the area, too. And let’s not forget the iconic movies: A great white shark caught off the Montauk shore — weighing over two tons — fed the idea for Jaws.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 2.27.17 What’s Your Sign? Pisces
- Culture 2.26.17 To Read: Christine Lennon’s The Drifter
- Beauty 2.2.17 Love Relentlessly: Meet the Artist, Meghann Stephenson
- Culture 1.27.17 Lunar New Year: Thierry Chow’s Feng Shui Tips to Maximize Good Fortune
- Culture 1.26.17 Lunar New Year: Astrologer Susie Cox on the Year of the Fire Rooster