Montauk is more than just a beachy locale where surfers, sunseekers and seafood-lovers alike converge. It’s where The Rolling Stones found inspiration for their 1976 song Memory Motel, effectively immortalizing a local institution. They wrote it while staying at Andy Warhol’s five-house compound there, which also hosted the likes of Lee Radziwill, Halston, Jackie Kennedy and Liza Minnelli. Top photographers Richard Avedon and Peter Beard made their homes in the area, too. And let’s not forget the iconic movies: A great white shark caught off the Montauk shore — weighing over two tons — fed the idea for Jaws.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Meet the Artist: Donald Robertson Wed, Dec 11, 2013
- Culture Word of Mouth: TBF & Women Rule Sat, Dec 7, 2013
- Culture Tastemakers: The de Purys on Art Basel & Gifts for the Art Lover Fri, Dec 6, 2013
- Culture Quote of the Day: Nelson Mandela Fri, Dec 6, 2013
- Culture Book of the Week: Jane & Serge. A Family Album Thu, Dec 5, 2013