Montauk is more than just a beachy locale where surfers, sunseekers and seafood-lovers alike converge. It’s where The Rolling Stones found inspiration for their 1976 song Memory Motel, effectively immortalizing a local institution. They wrote it while staying at Andy Warhol’s five-house compound there, which also hosted the likes of Lee Radziwill, Halston, Jackie Kennedy and Liza Minnelli. Top photographers Richard Avedon and Peter Beard made their homes in the area, too. And let’s not forget the iconic movies: A great white shark caught off the Montauk shore — weighing over two tons — fed the idea for Jaws.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Do: Matisse & the Book Arts at The Morgan Tue, Nov 24, 2015
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Sagittarius Mon, Nov 23, 2015
- Culture To Read: Brigid Berlin Polaroids Sun, Nov 22, 2015
- Culture Author Juman Malouf On: The Trilogy of Two Sat, Nov 21, 2015
- Culture To Do: Paige Powell at the Portland Art Museum Sat, Nov 21, 2015