Montauk is more than just a beachy locale where surfers, sunseekers and seafood-lovers alike converge. It’s where The Rolling Stones found inspiration for their 1976 song Memory Motel, effectively immortalizing a local institution. They wrote it while staying at Andy Warhol’s five-house compound there, which also hosted the likes of Lee Radziwill, Halston, Jackie Kennedy and Liza Minnelli. Top photographers Richard Avedon and Peter Beard made their homes in the area, too. And let’s not forget the iconic movies: A great white shark caught off the Montauk shore — weighing over two tons — fed the idea for Jaws.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Do: Garry Winogrand at The Met Mon, Jul 7, 2014
- Culture Meet the Artist: Gray Malin Wed, Jul 2, 2014
- Culture Book Tastemaker: Rodrigo Corral’s Design Talk Tue, Jul 1, 2014
- Culture Book of the Week: 40 Greatest Parties in Fiction Tue, Jul 1, 2014
- Culture Book Tastemaker: Jesmyn Ward’s Writerly Advice Mon, Jun 30, 2014