Alta Moda means high fashion in Spanish. It’s also the name of Mario Testino’s exhibit at his nonprofit MATE art foundation in the photographer’s native Lima, Peru. The show features a series of images that pay homage to traditional local dress, showcasing its brilliance in vivid color, print and embroidery. “I tried to fit as much time and history into each frame as possible,” says Testino, “from the traditional and festive clothing to the Chambi backdrops to the Peruvian people in them.” For those who can’t make it before the exhibition’s closing in September, Alta Moda is hitting New York this fall.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 4.25.18 Mother’s Day: Tory on Top 10 Reasons Reva Is the Cat’s Meow
- Culture 4.23.18 To See: The First-Ever Embrace Ambition Summit
- Culture 4.16.18 What’s Your Sign? Taurus
- Culture 4.9.18 Getaway Issue: To Do, Antonio Lopez at Danziger Gallery
- Culture 3.28.18 Spring 2018: To Read, An Atlas of Rare & Familiar Colour