Stripes have always been a favorite of mine. They’re a summer staple — and one of the easiest patterns to pull off. Stripes are so versatile and can go from all-American sportif to nautical to Deauville-chic.
How do you wear stripes?
I treat stripes like a neutral and pair them with basics as well as other graphic prints like florals or abstracts. And I love to layer — both ways! Here, I’m wearing our Polina sweater over a collared shirt, but I also love wearing a striped button-down under a solid sweater for just a peek of pattern. You can also start small, with a striped shoe, bag or scarf.
What’s the key to mixing stripes with other prints?
I keep the silhouettes fitted or on the slim side so the pattern doesn’t overwhelm, and prefer to stick to similar or complementary colors. Try pairing blues with greens, either with light jeans like these or our bright printed Walton pant.
Are they just for summer?
No. I wear my stripes all year. They’re perennial — that’s why I love them.
Shop more stripes
More to explore in Style
- Style Tastemaker: Caroline Issa on Holiday Parties & Style Thu, Dec 12, 2013
- Style Looking Good: Thailand’s Meow Praowphan Tue, Dec 10, 2013
- Style Emily Satloff On: Gifts & Tips for the Jewelry Lover Tue, Dec 10, 2013
- Style Zani Gugelmann On: Tuxedo Pants, Two Ways Mon, Dec 9, 2013
- Style Editors’ Wish List: Top 10 Gifts Thu, Dec 5, 2013