By Eugene Souleiman
- The Inspiration
There’s a slight nod to the Art Nouveau movement. We took the embellishment and curls from Gustav Klimt, but did something that has a more modern feel to it. Otherwise it looks very period. We’re not really in an HBO-romantic-series kind of world, are we? We’re in New York.
- The Look
We’re creating this soft and beautiful almost-bun — kind of where a bob meets a twist meets a bun. What I love about this is that it’s one continuous movement; it isn’t sectioned off. I think there’s a very light, almost ethereal texture to Tory’s clothes and I try to mimic that. It’s the feeling of freshness and lightness with something more structured.
- How to Get It
Spread a saline-based product at the roots of the hair, which takes the moisture out a little bit and allows it to become almost like static. It brings out the kind of imperfections that are really very beautiful. Then do a very low part, tease the underneath and roll it under. Turn the bun and pin it. There’s a structure to it, but it’s done in a very spontaneous way.
More to explore in Beauty
- Beauty 11.19.18 Entrepreneur Issue: Karolina Kurkova on Gryph & IvyRose
- Beauty 9.7.18 Spring/Summer 2019: Backstage Beauty & Hair
- Beauty 7.2.18 Most Wanted: Nuit Azur
- Beauty 6.27.18 To Read: Clémence von Mueffling’s Ageless Beauty the French Way
- Beauty 4.4.18 Spotlight On: Just Like Heaven Launch Party