The founder of The Blacklots and RP Miller Design on his must-see, must-do, must-eat highlights of Brazil.
“There are so many things I love about the country I couldn’t edit them down to a list of 10, but here’s my attempt. In no particular order….”
1. The gardens of Roberto Burle Marx, just outside Rio, are beyond inspiring and gorgeous. He’s the one who created the iconic, patterned sidewalks of Copacabana and Ipanema beaches.
2. Feijoada, the delicious black bean stew that is more pork than beans and is probably the only meal you need for a month of running daily marathons!
3. Inhotim, an incredible vision of contemporary art. It is like a playground/theme park/museum in the middle of nowhere — literally — and is so beautiful and engaging, it makes the trip well worth it.
4. Fasano Hotel in São Paulo — just superb in every way.
6. São Paulo Art Biennial. Founded in 1951, the Biennial has been a significant invitation for artists for 60-plus years. In its 30th incarnation, this year’s Biennial (open through December 9th) is thoughtful and refreshingly free of installation bombast.
7. Ouro Preto, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a stunning colonial town built by the Portuguese in the 17th and 18th century during the gold rush that fueled their empire. What you will find there: 300-year-old baroque churches, tangled streets and foggy mornings.
8. Hélio Oiticica. There are so many artists I love in Brazil, from Modernists to Contemporary artists like Tiago Carneiro da Cunha (who has work at this year’s Biennial), but Oiticica is like my holy grail!
9. Architects. Like artists, there are too many I love, but if I could convince Paulo Mendes da Rocha to design a house for me I would be in heaven! (But I would also be thrilled to work with Isay Weinfeld or Marcio Kogan!)
11. Osklen. I love this Rio-based brand for its casual trousers, T-shirts and sunglasses. It is like more sophisticated surfwear.
More to explore in Travel
- Travel 1.20.17 To Visit: Chris Blackwell’s Island Outpost Resorts
- Entertaining 1.18.17 Meet the Restaurateur: Three Little Birds’ April Jackson
- Style 1.10.17 Word of Mouth: LaDoubleJ x Hotel Esencia
- Sport 12.26.16 Tory’s Pro Shop: To Visit, Ultimate Ski Destinations
- Travel 12.22.16 Holiday Issue: Worldwide Yuletide