Leanne Shapton, one of our favorite artists, competed in two Olympic swimming trials. Her new book Swimming Studies dives into her personal journey with the sport, from being a competitive teenager to an adult who loves the simple act of swimming. We asked her more…
Swimming and painting are similar… because they both require striking a balance between physical skill and trust.
When I swim I feel… balanced.
My first memory of being underwater is… realizing that my brother was joking when he told me I was one of the humans who could inhale water.
My favorite spot to swim is… Stadtbad Mitte, Berlin.
Place I dream of taking a dip is… Alvaro Siza’s Leça De Palmeira swimming pool near Porto, Portugal.
Favorite painting of a pool is… Leon Kossoff’s Children’s Swimming Pool, Autumn Afternoon, 1971. You can practically smell the chlorine, hear the bellyflops and feel the lurking verruca.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Spotlight On: Photographer Shana Novak & The Heirloomist Sat, Oct 15, 2016
- Culture To Read: Michelle Nussbaumer’s Wanderlust Sat, Oct 15, 2016
- Culture Tory Daily’s HOT! List: Fall 2016 Tue, Oct 11, 2016
- Culture To Read: Slim Aarons’ Women Sat, Oct 8, 2016
- Culture Spotlight On: Gagosian Gallery’s Sarah Hoover Mon, Oct 3, 2016