Leanne Shapton, one of our favorite artists, competed in two Olympic swimming trials. Her new book Swimming Studies dives into her personal journey with the sport, from being a competitive teenager to an adult who loves the simple act of swimming. We asked her more…
Swimming and painting are similar… because they both require striking a balance between physical skill and trust.
When I swim I feel… balanced.
My first memory of being underwater is… realizing that my brother was joking when he told me I was one of the humans who could inhale water.
My favorite spot to swim is… Stadtbad Mitte, Berlin.
Place I dream of taking a dip is… Alvaro Siza’s Leça De Palmeira swimming pool near Porto, Portugal.
Favorite painting of a pool is… Leon Kossoff’s Children’s Swimming Pool, Autumn Afternoon, 1971. You can practically smell the chlorine, hear the bellyflops and feel the lurking verruca.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Holiday Issue: Artist Mary Nelson Sinclair on Color, More Color & Best Gifts Sat, Dec 20, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Jewelry Designer Sevan Biçakçi Mon, Dec 15, 2014
- Culture To Do: Beatriz Milhazes at Pérez Art Museum Miami Sun, Dec 7, 2014
- Culture Art Advisor Maria Brito On: Lifestyling the Home Sat, Dec 6, 2014
- Culture To Do: Michele Oka Doner at Christie’s Fri, Dec 5, 2014