“Dodie Thayer was a true American icon. Her artistry was as remarkable as her life story: She was self taught, a true entrepreneur — she perfected her craft and taught others how to mold beautiful pottery from ordinary cabbage leaves. In 2013, I had the honor of visiting Dodie at her home in Florida. There are so many things that I learned from her, so many words of wisdom: One thing she said to us as we left was to ‘Try different things. Respect nature. Be self-reliant.’ Spending time with Dodie Thayer showed me that she lived by these words and we will always cherish all of the beautiful lettuce ware she created.
“Donations can be made in Dodie Thayer’s name to Lighthouse ArtCenter School of Art, which she co-founded.” — Tory
More to explore in Entertaining
- Entertaining 8.7.18 In Memoriam: Dodie Thayer
- Entertaining 8.6.18 Recipes: Legacy Records’ Cocktail Trio
- Entertaining 7.27.18 Book Issue: Author Victoria Johnson on America’s Botanical Pioneer
- Entertaining 7.10.18 Editor-In-Chief Sarah Bray On: Must-Visit Gardens in the Hamptons
- Entertaining 7.9.18 Ice Cream Spotlight On: Milkmade