Back when women were still referred to as “birds,” Michelangelo Antonioni filmed his art-house masterpiece Blow-Up. Inspired by a fictional murder mystery and the life of famed fashion photographer David Bailey, the 1966 movie can feel a little fantastical today, but it’s high style — both film- and fashion-wise — always looks and feels modern. Then there’s the dream cast: Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings, Jane Birkin, Veruschka and Sarah Miles. Birkin, Miles and Veruschka were part of a new generation of plugged-in models and actresses often referred to as “Birds of Britain,” recognizable by their glossy straight hair, eternal pouts and dewy, doe-eyes. While their title might be antiquated, their look is anything but dated.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Do: Tribeca Film Festival Tue, Apr 15, 2014
- Culture Meet the Actress: Kelli O’Hara Fri, Apr 11, 2014
- Culture Ambra Medda On: Salone del Mobile Tue, Apr 8, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Presidential Ambassadors for Global Entrepreneurship Mon, Apr 7, 2014
- Culture Book of the Week: From Vera to Veruschka Tue, Apr 1, 2014