Back when women were still referred to as “birds,” Michelangelo Antonioni filmed his art-house masterpiece Blow-Up. Inspired by a fictional murder mystery and the life of famed fashion photographer David Bailey, the 1966 movie can feel a little fantastical today, but it’s high style — both film- and fashion-wise — always looks and feels modern. Then there’s the dream cast: Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings, Jane Birkin, Veruschka and Sarah Miles. Birkin, Miles and Veruschka were part of a new generation of plugged-in models and actresses often referred to as “Birds of Britain,” recognizable by their glossy straight hair, eternal pouts and dewy, doe-eyes. While their title might be antiquated, their look is anything but dated.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 6.23.17 Meet the Artist: Jocelyn Hobbie
- Culture 6.21.17 What’s Your Sign? Cancer
- Culture 6.20.17 To Do: Walasse Ting at Hong Kong’s Alisan Fine Arts
- Culture 6.15.17 Entrepreneurs: Iksel Decorative Arts’ Mehmet & Dimonah Iksel
- Culture 6.13.17 Lauren Bush Lauren On: New York’s FEED Shop & Café