Back when women were still referred to as “birds,” Michelangelo Antonioni filmed his art-house masterpiece Blow-Up. Inspired by a fictional murder mystery and the life of famed fashion photographer David Bailey, the 1966 movie can feel a little fantastical today, but it’s high style — both film- and fashion-wise — always looks and feels modern. Then there’s the dream cast: Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings, Jane Birkin, Veruschka and Sarah Miles. Birkin, Miles and Veruschka were part of a new generation of plugged-in models and actresses often referred to as “Birds of Britain,” recognizable by their glossy straight hair, eternal pouts and dewy, doe-eyes. While their title might be antiquated, their look is anything but dated.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 8.15.17 Inspiration: Blue & White Book Covers
- Culture 8.9.17 Book Issue: Cat’s Meow, Joan Juliet Buck
- Culture 8.4.17 Book Issue: Belletrist, Emma Robert’s Book Club
- Culture 8.3.17 Book Issue: Spotlight on Author Katie Kitamura
- Culture 8.2.17 Book Issue: Legendary Authors & The Clothes They Wore