Aung San Suu Kyi is a symbol of hope to her Burmese countrymen and an international champion of democracy. The daughter of General Aung San, who led Burma to independence, she has tirelessly fought militant regimes for a free and democratic Burma, living under house arrest for 15 of the last years. She was most recently released in late 2010, and continues to fight for a free Burma. Suu Kyi has been internationally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize, Europe’s Sakharov Prize and the United States Medal of Freedom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Do: Lil Buck at Lincoln Center Plaza Sat, Jul 25, 2015
- Culture To Do: Alex Israel at Paris’ Almine Rech Fri, Jul 24, 2015
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Leo Thu, Jul 23, 2015
- Culture To Do: Contemporary Art Masters at Marian Goodman Wed, Jul 22, 2015
- Culture Meet the Artist: Angelica Hicks Sun, Jul 19, 2015