Aung San Suu Kyi is a symbol of hope to her Burmese countrymen and an international champion of democracy. The daughter of General Aung San, who led Burma to independence, she has tirelessly fought militant regimes for a free and democratic Burma, living under house arrest for 15 of the last years. She was most recently released in late 2010, and continues to fight for a free Burma. Suu Kyi has been internationally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize, Europe’s Sakharov Prize and the United States Medal of Freedom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To See: Alexander Calder at Christie’s & Tory Burch Madison Mon, Apr 21, 2014
- Culture Jill Brooke On: The Need to Say No Mon, Apr 21, 2014
- Culture In Memoriam: Gabriel García Márquez Thu, Apr 17, 2014
- Culture Katty Kay On: The Confidence Code Thu, Apr 17, 2014
- Culture To Do: Tribeca Film Festival Tue, Apr 15, 2014