Aung San Suu Kyi is a symbol of hope to her Burmese countrymen and an international champion of democracy. The daughter of General Aung San, who led Burma to independence, she has tirelessly fought militant regimes for a free and democratic Burma, living under house arrest for 15 of the last years. She was most recently released in late 2010, and continues to fight for a free Burma. Suu Kyi has been internationally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize, Europe’s Sakharov Prize and the United States Medal of Freedom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 11.12.18 Spotlight On: Illustrator Maddie Edgar
- Culture 11.7.18 Spotlight On: Grand Central Terminal’s Celestial Ceiling
- Culture 11.5.18 Yana Peel and Caroline Issa On: The Art World
- Culture 10.28.18 Fall Getaway: Illustrator Isabelle Feliu
- Culture 10.19.18 To Visit: Magazzino Italian Art Foundation