Aung San Suu Kyi is a symbol of hope to her Burmese countrymen and an international champion of democracy. The daughter of General Aung San, who led Burma to independence, she has tirelessly fought militant regimes for a free and democratic Burma, living under house arrest for 15 of the last years. She was most recently released in late 2010, and continues to fight for a free Burma. Suu Kyi has been internationally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize, Europe’s Sakharov Prize and the United States Medal of Freedom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 11.15.17 Meet the photographer: André Vicente Gonçalves
- Culture 11.7.17 Entrepreneur Issue: TheSkimm Founders Share Their Best Business Advice
- Culture 11.6.17 To Do: Toyin Ojih Odutola at the Whitney
- Culture 11.5.17 Entrepreneur Issue: To Read, George Lois’ Damn Good Advice
- Culture 11.4.17 Entrepreneur Issue: Illustrator Adriana Picker on Creativity & Staying Motivated