Aung San Suu Kyi is a symbol of hope to her Burmese countrymen and an international champion of democracy. The daughter of General Aung San, who led Burma to independence, she has tirelessly fought militant regimes for a free and democratic Burma, living under house arrest for 15 of the last years. She was most recently released in late 2010, and continues to fight for a free Burma. Suu Kyi has been internationally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize, Europe’s Sakharov Prize and the United States Medal of Freedom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 7.6.17 To Do: Kitty Chou at Hong Kong’s Ben Brown Fine Arts
- Culture 7.2.17 To Do: Ed Ruscha’s Nine Swimming Pools & A Broken Glass at L.A.’s Kopeikin Gallery
- Culture 6.26.17 Exhibits We Love: Magnum Photos’ 70th Anniversary
- Culture 6.24.17 Beach Bohemia: Best Summer Beach Reads
- Culture 6.23.17 Meet the Artist: Jocelyn Hobbie