Aung San Suu Kyi is a symbol of hope to her Burmese countrymen and an international champion of democracy. The daughter of General Aung San, who led Burma to independence, she has tirelessly fought militant regimes for a free and democratic Burma, living under house arrest for 15 of the last years. She was most recently released in late 2010, and continues to fight for a free Burma. Suu Kyi has been internationally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize, Europe’s Sakharov Prize and the United States Medal of Freedom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Paris Issue: Pierre Le-Tan’s Drawings of the Tory Burch Flagship Mon, Jul 6, 2015
- Culture Paris Issue: Spotlight on Artist Pierre Le-Tan Mon, Jul 6, 2015
- Culture Happy 4th of July! Sat, Jul 4, 2015
- Culture To Do: Barbara Vaughn at Quogue Gallery Fri, Jul 3, 2015
- Culture Eleanor Ylvisaker On: July 4th Plans Fri, Jul 3, 2015