Aung San Suu Kyi is a symbol of hope to her Burmese countrymen and an international champion of democracy. The daughter of General Aung San, who led Burma to independence, she has tirelessly fought militant regimes for a free and democratic Burma, living under house arrest for 15 of the last years. She was most recently released in late 2010, and continues to fight for a free Burma. Suu Kyi has been internationally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize, Europe’s Sakharov Prize and the United States Medal of Freedom.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture 8.15.17 Inspiration: Blue & White Book Covers
- Culture 8.9.17 Book Issue: Cat’s Meow, Joan Juliet Buck
- Culture 8.4.17 Book Issue: Belletrist, Emma Robert’s Book Club
- Culture 8.3.17 Book Issue: Spotlight on Author Katie Kitamura
- Culture 8.2.17 Book Issue: Legendary Authors & The Clothes They Wore