Q: There are so many parties and events this time of year. I feel pulled in too many directions. How do I decline graciously? — Cassie, Dallas
A: Cassie, it is more gracious to decline when first asked than to cancel at the last minute. Before accepting, look at your calendar with an eye to how much you already have on every given day. If it is too much, say how sorry you are, but you cannot make it. One needs to take care of oneself during the holidays, too!
Have a question for New York psychotherapist Barbara Liberman? Let us know below.
More to explore in Experts
- Experts 12.24.18 5 Ways to Dial Down Holiday Stress
- Experts 11.12.18 Astrologer Susan Miller On: Gifts for Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces
- Experts 11.12.18 Astrologer Susan Miller On: Gifts for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- Experts 11.12.18 Astrologer Susan Miller On: Gifts for Leo, Virgo, Libra and Scorpio
- Experts 11.11.18 Holiday Issue: Astrologer Susan Miller on Holiday Gifting