Q: There are so many parties and events this time of year. I feel pulled in too many directions. How do I decline graciously? — Cassie, Dallas
A: Cassie, it is more gracious to decline when first asked than to cancel at the last minute. Before accepting, look at your calendar with an eye to how much you already have on every given day. If it is too much, say how sorry you are, but you cannot make it. One needs to take care of oneself during the holidays, too!
Have a question for New York psychotherapist Barbara Liberman? Let us know below.
More to explore in Experts
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Sagittarius Sun, Nov 17, 2013
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Scorpio Mon, Oct 21, 2013
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Libra Sat, Sep 21, 2013
- Experts 10 Minutes with an Entrepreneur: Rachelle Hruska Sun, Sep 1, 2013
- Experts Heather Lilleston On: Yoga & The Beach Life Sat, Aug 31, 2013