2014 is a year of numerous anniversaries — including Tory’s own — and among them is the fourth centenary of the passing of famed Spanish
Renaissance artist Doménikos Theotokópoulos, a.k.a El Greco. To celebrate this Year of El Greco, The Frick Collection in New York presents Men in Armor: El Greco and Pulzone Face to Face, which pairs one of only two full-length portraits by the artist (above, right) with a rarely seen work by his contemporary Scipione Pulzone, painted just a year prior. The connection? Both feature, as title suggests, noblemen dressed in full armor — an increasingly prestigious symbol of status and military valor at a time when, curiously, armor in battle had started to become obsolete.
To read about the armor inspiration behind Tory’s Fall 2014 collection, click here.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Aquarius Thu, Jan 22, 2015
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Capricorn Fri, Dec 26, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Greetings from Tory Daily Tue, Dec 23, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Artist Mary Nelson Sinclair on Color, More Color & Best Gifts Sat, Dec 20, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Jewelry Designer Sevan Biçakçi Mon, Dec 15, 2014