“Almost as interesting as the music is the album cover. I remember when growing up,
every time we got a new album, we would pore over every detail of the cover, back cover and inside flap while listening to a record. It’s just as much an extension of the musician as the music itself… especially when he or she taps a favorite artist to concoct something unexpected. Here, some of my favorites, past and present, like Janelle Monáe’s The ArchAndroid, 2010, and The Electric Lady, 2013, a mix of witty visuals and great sounds.” — Tory
Talking Heads’ Speaking in Tongues, 1983, by Robert Rauschenberg
More to explore in Music
- Music 11.4.17 Entrepreneur Issue: Strong & Stronger Playlist
- Music 10.14.17 Meet the Band: Miss Velvet & the Blue Wolf
- Music 10.6.17 Tory’s Playlist: Did Someone Say Cocktails?
- Music 8.31.17 Music Issue: To Read, What Is Hip-Hop?
- Music 8.30.17 Music Issue: Singer-Songwriter Mafalda’s Guide to New York City