Maya Angelou was a poet, a memoirist, a writer. She was a dancer — occasionally partnering with Alvin Ailey — and a singer. She was an editor in Cairo, an assistant in Ghana. She was nominated for a Tony, and a Pulitzer; she won three Grammys for her spoken word albums. She was a mother and an activist. She was a powerful voice whose words and influence will long resonate. But above all, Maya Angelou was a force of nature.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Mother’s Day Entrepreneurs: Baby2Baby’s Kelly Sawyer Patricof & Norah Weinstein Sun, May 3, 2015
- Culture Mother’s Day: Photographer & DJ Brooke Williams on Raising a Future Jedi Master Sat, May 2, 2015
- Culture Mother’s Day: Editors’ Wish List, The Book Edition Sat, May 2, 2015
- Culture Mother’s Day: Tastemakers on Mom’s Best Advice Fri, May 1, 2015
- Culture Did You Know? The New Whitney Museum Thu, Apr 30, 2015