Maya Angelou was a poet, a memoirist, a writer. She was a dancer — occasionally partnering with Alvin Ailey — and a singer. She was an editor in Cairo, an assistant in Ghana. She was nominated for a Tony, and a Pulitzer; she won three Grammys for her spoken word albums. She was a mother and an activist. She was a powerful voice whose words and influence will long resonate. But above all, Maya Angelou was a force of nature.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Read: Richard Diebenkorn Thu, May 21, 2015
- Culture To See: Niki de Saint Phalle at Guggenheim Bilbao Mon, May 18, 2015
- Culture Word of Mouth: Cannes 2015 Sat, May 16, 2015
- Culture Insider’s Guide: Bettina Prentice’s Frieze NY Thu, May 14, 2015
- Culture Word of Mouth: Teresita Fernández’s Madison Square Park Takeover Mon, May 11, 2015