In the age-old debate of whether fashion is art, here’s something new to consider: India Wolf’s Stepping Up for Art project, which casts its vote soundly for the affirmative. Inspired by some Charlotte Olympia shoes painted à la Picasso, Pollock and Mondrian at Art Basel Miami in 2012, the 16-year-old daughter of Maya Lin and art dealer Daniel Wolf got 20 artists to whip up their take on the designer’s signature Dolly platform pumps. The participating roster is impressive — from Christo and Cindy Sherman to Laurie Simmons, Richard Prince and Ed Ruscha — and the results, at once whimsical, kooky and striking. If you’re in New York, you can check out the whole collection at the Gagosian Gallery on Madison Avenue till Monday. 100 percent of the proceeds will benefit Studio in a School, a nonprofit supporting arts education in underfunded public schools in New York.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture To Read: What I Love About Movies Mon, Feb 23, 2015
- Culture Happy Lunar New Year! Thu, Feb 19, 2015
- Culture To Do: Larry David’s Fish In the Dark Fri, Feb 6, 2015
- Culture To Do: Vik Muniz at Ben Brown Fine Arts in Hong Kong Mon, Feb 2, 2015
- Culture To Read: Nick Hornby’s Funny Girl Sat, Jan 31, 2015