From its opening on New Year’s Eve in 1930, the Surf Club was a playground for both Hollywood and British royalty. Frank Sinatra honeymooned there with Ava Gardner. Elizabeth Taylor visited with her first fiancé. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor made it a vacation spot while Winston Churchill spent so much time there, he had two oceanfront cabanas: one for afternoon naps and one for painting seascapes. On the eve of a redesign by architect Richard Meier, the Miami institution gets it due in Assouline’s The Surf Club, which chronicles its high times and seaside glamour.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Aquarius Thu, Jan 22, 2015
- Culture What’s Your Sign? Capricorn Fri, Dec 26, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Greetings from Tory Daily Tue, Dec 23, 2014
- Culture Holiday Issue: Artist Mary Nelson Sinclair on Color, More Color & Best Gifts Sat, Dec 20, 2014
- Culture Word of Mouth: Jewelry Designer Sevan Biçakçi Mon, Dec 15, 2014