Back when women were still referred to as “birds,” Michelangelo Antonioni filmed his art-house masterpiece Blow-Up. Inspired by a fictional murder mystery and the life of famed fashion photographer David Bailey, the 1966 movie can feel a little fantastical today, but it’s high style — both film- and fashion-wise — always looks and feels modern. Then there’s the dream cast: Vanessa Redgrave, David Hemmings, Jane Birkin, Veruschka and Sarah Miles. Birkin, Miles and Veruschka were part of a new generation of plugged-in models and actresses often referred to as “Birds of Britain,” recognizable by their glossy straight hair, eternal pouts and dewy, doe-eyes. While their title might be antiquated, their look is anything but dated.
More to explore in Culture
- Culture Behind Design: David Netto’s Bookshelves Tue, Jun 18, 2013
- Culture Kate Foley On: Fashion Reads & Haute Havisham Mon, Jun 17, 2013
- Culture Tory On: Her Favorite Books Mon, Jun 17, 2013
- Culture To Do: Mario Testino’s Alta Moda Sat, Jun 15, 2013
- Culture Behind Design: Meet Art Director Anna Karlin Mon, Jun 10, 2013